Guess the European Championship team from their classic football shirt
Governments have been toppled, walls have fallen and David Hasslehoff has sung on top of one wearing the best jacket ever made, but none of this has stopped Europeans pitting themselves against each other every four years.
Despite the continents’ political upheaval in the 52 years since the first European Championships was staged in 1960, nations – sometimes under a variety of names – have always managed to cobble together a team in time for the tournament’s kick-off.
The competition has had nine different winners and all are featured below, along with 24 other nations who have negotiated the qualifying stage to reach the summer tournament.
Included is a mix of distinctively different away shirts and classic home jerseys worn at some point in that nations short or long history and all are available from this vast online wardrobe.
Congratulations to Paul Banika for correctly answering all 33 puzzlers and bagging £100 to spend at classicfootballshirts.co.uk. The competition has now closed, but this will remain live as a bit of fun, and there are plenty more to test yourself with here.
Share this quiz
- Inazuma Eleven
- Questions over the new Everton manager Roberto Martinez and a short treatise on Mark Hughes
- Guess the facially fuzzy player from their classic football sticker
- Chucklevision – Football Heroes (1996)
- 20 changes of management in 10 chaotic Championship months
- Hugo Sanchez the Colgate dentist
- George Best and Fore
- Should football clubs be financially rewarded for securing relegation?
- Football violence and the impact of political events
- Manu Chao – La Vida Tombola (2007)